Sunday, February 15, 2015

Aaaaaannnnd More from July, 2014

Continuing on.......... Photos taken July 15th. 
By the way, I'm not as meticulous as all that -- the photos are in a general alphabetical order because the computer photo system saves them that way, and it's easier for me to keep track of what I've uploaded if I take them in order.  I mess up occasionally, whether intentionally, or NOT quite so "intentional," heh heh....





ALWAYS AFTERNOON, by Morss, '87; Early; SEV TET; 22"x 6"; SSM winner, 1997.




BARBARA MITCHELL, by Pierce, C., '84; Midseason; SEV DIP; 20" x 6"; SSM 1992





BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS, by Copenhaver, '89; Mid; SEV DIP; Fragrant; 30' x 7"






BIG GEORGE, by Krupien, '98; Mid; DOR TET; 35" x 7"






CARA MIA, by Lester, '55; Early Mid; DOR DIP; 14" height.




 CHIN WHISKERS, by McRae, '92; Early Mid; DOR DIP; UFO crispate; 20" x 5"






DAMSEL IN DISTRESS, by Lambert, '85; Mid; DOR DIP; Very Fragrant; 30" x 7"





FAIRY TALE PINK, by Pierce, C., '80; Mid; SEV DIP; 24" x 6"; SSM winner, 1990





JIM JIM, by Hansen, '90; Mid; SEV DIP; Nocturnal, Dbl; 22" x 5"





LA BELLE DAME, by Yancey, '95; Early Mid; SEV DIP, Fragrant; 14" x 5"






LITTLE BUMBLEBEE (VT) by the Darrow family.  This is not a registered cultivar; I have a few of these.  Apparently, there was a bit of a mix-up when the next generation moved inventory from the late George Darrow's original location ("Olallie," in New Jersey, I believe) up to Vermont.  Some of the cultivars lost their labels, and identities were not certain, even after the family did their best to match them up.  Still, they couldn't register them, nor sell them as registered daylilies.  They put a (VT) after the names of these to signify that a cultivar is from that problematic transfer.  The plants seem to have been hybridized by George Darrow himself, but the names are not reliable enough to sell without some disclosure.  I read this years ago, somewhere on the Olallie website or literature, and might have the details wrong, but that's the gist of it.  If I buy one of these, it's because I want it, period. 





LITTLE BUSINESS, by Maxwell, T. '71; Early Mid; SEV DIP; 15" x 3"  (This bloom isn't damaged, but raindrop covered!  Maybe I should have waited until the rain had dried, but sometimes, I just can't.  Sometimes it's a time crunch -- sometimes, it's merely enthusiastic impatience!)






MAUNA LOA, by Roberts, '76; Early Mid; DOR TET;  22" x 5"  (Even though this one had been traumatized a bit in the spring by my digging and moving it, it put on a terrific show for me at bloom time!  Might have been the simple addition of more sunshine, as the former spot was a tad shady.  It's staying put for awhile, that's for certain!)





MAY MAY, by Hayward, M., '76;  Early; SEV DIP; Fragrant; Nocturnal; 30" x 4"  (This one was also affected by moving.  It wasn't that established, when it was moved in the spring, but seemed to like the difference.  I'm hoping it will flourish in the new spot!) 




OLALLIE CAROL, by Darrow, '81; Mid; DOR TET; 30" x 6"  (This and the next cultivar are examples of the Olallie plants that were NOT mixed up, and retained their correct labels and names.  They were already registered, by George Darrow, and have the "Olallie" prefix in the name.  I purchased this one in late summer, 2012, to represent both my cousin Carol, and a dear friend of the same name.  My cousin passed away in the spring of 2013, so it's extra special to me now.)




OLALLIE GEORGE DARROW, by Darrow, '78; Mid-Late; DOR TET; Fragrant; 24" x 7" (By the way, Dr. Darrow's primary field of interest was raspberry hybrids, not daylilies, at least when he settled in the area of New Jersey where his farm was. "Olallie" is the local Native American word for "place where raspberries grow," so that is what Dr. Darrow named his place.  Cool, huh?) 




PAINTED LADY, by Russell, '42; Mid; EV DIP; 36" (height);  SSM winner, 1951  (I purchased this shortly before it bloomed for me, so it was rather stressed out.  I'm sure there will be better quality blooms in the future.)




PRIMAL SCREAM, by Hanson, C., '94; Mid-Late; DOR TET, UFO-crispate, cascade; 34" x 8"; SSM winner, 2003.





QUEEN ELEANOR, by Peck, '67; Mid; DOR TET; 34" x 6"  (I do believe I forgot to turn this photo a quarter-turn clockwise!  There isn't a big difference, really.... )






RUMBLE SEAT ROMANCE, by Elliott, '90; Mid; DIP (habit not given) Fragrant; 20"x5".




SILOAM DAVID KIRCHHOFF, by Henry, P., '86; Early Mid; DOR DIP; 16" x 4"






WINDSOR CASTLE, by Hall, D.F., '66; Mid' DOR DIP; 36" x 5".  (Not a great photo, sorry.  I just went through my files for 2014, and there are no more pics of Windsor Castle!  I may have taken some the previous year or two, so will revise if that proves true, and improved.  It really is a nice plant, not remarkable, but steadfast and rugged, as well as pretty.)


Now, for a couple pix of the actual gardens! 


Wild and crazy, I call this one the Garden of The Unknowns, because all the daylily cultivars (and one Lilium lily) have either lost their identities, were shipped as something else, and are obviously not what they were labeled, purchased cheaply as Unknowns, etc.  Another name could be, "NOID Garden," for "No ID."  Abbreviated, my way comes out, "GOTU".... Heehee -- Got you!  It is rather messy, and will likely be dug up and reorganized in 2015, '16 at the latest.



This is in part a Holding bed, but the further section is the Pirate-themed garden.  I needed half of it for holding several clumps, plus new plantings that flooded my "to do" list in May.  Eventually, it will all be Pirate-themed.  To the left, slightly upslope, is the "Tell Me a Story" garden, with Daylilies Peter Pan and Tinker Bell, plus a Tiger Lily, closest to the Pirates!   


No comments:

Post a Comment