Friday, June 27, 2014

Getting excited!

We're getting LOADS of budded scapes here, and a few blooms have made it to my 2014 FFO list.  FFO stands for First Flower Open, and it helps in getting an idea of what to look for opening in the future, where to plant things, and so forth.  A new one last year that didn't bloom is an Olallie unregistered flower, "(VT) Ray of Sunshine."  It bloomed about the tenth of June (after all that, I'm guessing, as I don't have the list nearby).  Beating that was "Elfin" by Stout, on June 5th, and as always, "Elizabeth" on June 3rd.  Since then, Patterns, Saratoga Springtime, Lynn's Delight, Bubbly, and of course, Stella De Oro have shown their wee faces.  The only one of all these that is not some shade of yellow is "Patterns."


Daylily, ELIZABETH, which I may have shown before, but this photo is special.  Due to the extra long winter/late spring, Elizabeth was a bit late blooming.  The peonies had pretty much caught up, so for the first time, I had these two blooming together!  Why is that special?  Because the name of the peony is "Charlie's White."  I have these two together because my Mom and Dad were Charlie and Elizabeth!  Here they are, together again!




ELFIN, by Stout, 1949; DOR DIP, EE, 20", re, ext
I think I'm going to like this one VERY much!



RAY OF SUNSHINE, by the Darrow family; unregistered.  I bought it of course because of the "Ray" reference, and will put it in two different gardens: one dedicated to the good people we bought the house from 18 years ago -- and the other, when I have it going, will be the one where my beloved's cremains will be scattered.  I will go there too, when my time comes.  I just have not decided where that will be, on our property.

I have been looking for a photo of Patterns, but cannot find any in the computer.  I know I had one, last year, but I might have taken it with the iPhone, which I manage to drown recently.  I'll have to take another one as soon as I get a good bloom.  Maybe tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment