Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Still bizzy!

And so... another day begins in my yardful o' plants.  I finally have all the pots of daylilies that were on the porch OFF of it.  There are some other plants I also purchased that are hardening off there, plus on the back steps, but the daylilies are off.  There are just a few still in water buckets, and a lot that are heeled in, to take care of as soon as humanly possible.  Heeling in isn't a good practice for daylilies, but it will provide an extention that could ensure survival.  Plants might not be happy enough to bloom well, but they're more likely to live than if they get either dried out or waterlogged from waiting too long.  And I'm still figuring out where to plant many of them!  I need to renovate several gardens, so there is little point in planting something in those, only to dig them up later in the summer.  They should go in pots, but right now, pots are at a premium for me.  Sorry... sounds like whining, but I do have some plans about what to do.  It all just takes time. 

Weather has been somewhat cooperative.  It rains a lot, which means far less hauling water out to the new transplants!  They should be heavily watered in the first day, maybe some the second day, but then, probably not.  The roots need to be encouraged to go fairly deep and seek moisture on their own.  If we were experiencing a dry spell, I might say otherwise.  But it's spring in New England, and that usually means a fair bit of rainfall.  Unfortunately, it keeps me inside a lot.  Like HERE, at the computer!  HA! 

There are still several more deliveries to come in and I expect some will show up this week.  I feel like I can breathe long enough to do two or three appointments in the next couple of days, and then Thursday is supposed to be a beautiful day!  That should give me a running start on what needs to be done.  I also have a couple of friends who will be getting some of my plants in the mail, so I need to package those up, asap. 

Oh!  And I have found budded scapes on three daylilies!  Elizabeth, always the first to bloom each year, might be challenged for that title by Elfin.  I also have found a wee scape on one of the many Little Bob daylilies I have. 


 IT'S BEGINNING!!!!!!

Below is Little Bob, from an old shot in 2012.  Breeder is Williamson, 1979,  SEV DIP, Early, 10"x 2", nocturnal.

No comments:

Post a Comment