Friday, May 23, 2014

BIZZY, BIZZY, BIZZY!

Barely have enough time to tinkle, the past two weeks!  Various crises have arisen (none of them insurmountable, of course) including the death of Old Man Refrigerator.  I cannot replace the fridge until I can also replace the kitchen floor; they have to be done together, which will be a monumental project.  Just getting the current stuff out of the kitchen will be daunting!  So, to stall the inevitable, which I cannot spare the time for now, I got a small dorm or camp fridge/freezer to save some of the stuff that was in the old one, and get us through until the big changeover.  I won't do the floors for a few weeks, since I'm tracking in soil all the time, with all these transplantings.  Really, I'm truly a dirty old lady! HA!
 

A few more deliveries have shown up either by UPS or USPS.  I had to get more plant markers, but had a good idea this time of what sizes to get.  No more small ones!  When I get the herb garden going next year, they'll be useful for that one.  The labels are easy to change around.

My front porch looks like an alien jungle... lots of daylilies in makeshift pots, with most of their roots in water.  They're basically protected there, and it's a central zone to go and collect plants A, B, and C to take to section X, Y, or Z.  It might get chilly, but for the most part, they're acclimatizing well there.  I have so many to resolve places for, I'm going a little nuts.   Daylilies probably shouldn't be heeled in, but I have had to resort to that.  The first ones were done a few days ago, and I can't let them stay like that much longer!  But it's better than their getting  air-dried upper roots or waterlogged crowns from irregular amounts of water in their little containers.  At least they're touching soil.

I've been able to score a number of old plants that I used to have, but lost.  Well, I assume they were lost, but there are yet quite a few that haven't bloomed in 2012 or '13 for identification.  So, who knows?  Anyway, certain ones have been "replaced."  I'm certain that Jerome and Jackie's Choice were gone, and not sure that my Mint Ice was correct in the first place.  Those are all new here, this week, and I expect blooms this summer.  Mint Ice has been planted; the others are waiting.  I have a spot all prepared for Jackie's Choice -- in the Pirate Garden!  (Get it?)  Others that are being replaced include Congeniality, Alexander the Great, Siloam Robbie Bush, Siloam Merle Kent, Dancing Lions, Oliver Dragon's Tooth, Ed Murray,  Real Wind, Orange Vols, Give Me Eight, Amadeus, Little Wart, Mini Stella, and Marked By Lydia.  For a few of these, it will be their last chance.  Three strikes and you're out.  I've had two failures for Orange Vols and Siloam Robbie Bush, each.  Why do some cultivars just act like they don't want to be here?  There have been a few others, too!  

I'd post photos of the ones I mentioned above, but the photos of the old ones I lost are not in this computer.  They're in the old computer, also lost, though I emailed many of them to myself for personal referrence, as enclosures, not attachments.  Can't upload from that.  And I don't want to risk any copyright infringement (nor bad manners) by taking photos from the databases or people's sales websites.  So... no photos of those!

I mentioned the Pirate's Garden (thinking I should change that name to Pirate's Cove or Pirate's Patch, but there's a daylily called Pirate's Patch -- got it, too!) and I have a number of other themed gardens.  My first one was the Arthurian or Round Table Garden.  That one desperately needs overhauling.  Got a lot of attention the past two summers, but needs much more.  There have been family themed gardens, or what I call Family Plots.  (-- or sometimes "Family Plotz," LOL!)  Those are all over, in various places according to parts of family, generations, etc.  They too are getting overhauled this year, and sooner rather than later.  I may have mentioned "Dragon Alley," but that's getting very little change this year; so far two additions, and a few subtractions that don't belong in the theme.   Last year's holding beds are now the Stout Silver Medal Winners Gardens (SSM's) and one that had a lot of foreign sounding plants being held will be the International Garden.  The Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings Gardens will remain in the same places, touching Dragon Alley.   There are others too, but I've gone on long enough.  I'm having trouble posting the photo of Dragon Alley, taken last summer, so this will have to end here.  Better luck next time, right?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment