Sunday, October 20, 2013

Well, here it is the 20th of October (in New England!!!) and I have daylilies trying to bloom!   Here are pics taken early this afternoon, in my gardens.  They're not fully open, due to the chilly nights, but we usually have a partial if not killing freeze by now.  (Knocking wood that I'm not making one happen tonight...)  

Here are my brave, plucky bloomers:

 JANET BENZ, above ---
and
--- MY COMPLIMENTARY, below .


I have posted about these before, with their data.  Yes, they're not great, but considering everything, they are still a joy to see!  Says something about perseverance, doesn't it? 

Others that have recently bloomed and still have buds, are Little Bob, Happy Returns (of course!) Dance Ballerina Dance, and a No ID mystery red that I suspect could be Rambo.  But I cannot be certain at this time, and might never be.  But it is a handsome red!

I just don't have the heart to remove the buds, even though the little ones surely won't make it to open.  I could still pick the scapes and see what blooms indoors, in a vase.  Yes, I'll likely do that very soon.  I hate to drain the plant of its strength when it needs to put nutrients back into the roots for the winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment