Thursday, August 15, 2013

I do have a few lovelies to share with you, and OH! NEWS!  I was blessed with a visit from my cousin's "kid", whom I haven't seen for decades, not since she was a little girl.  She's a grown woman now, and I'm very proud of the fantastic human being she has become.  She walked around my gardens with me, and though only the Mid-Late blooms (some of the last Midseason blooms were still standing up to be counted, yaaayyy!) could be viewed, she seemed to enjoy the tour.  She has recently purchased a home, and wants to garden!  I'm willing to share any or all of my daylilies, over the course of time, with her.  But only some can be shared this summer, as I'm not dividing everything. Also, I took no photos that day (should at least have taken some of HER!) so all photos are from previous blossoms, or blooms since that day.

She showed a lot of interest in these:

                              LOVE GLOW, by Stevens, 1981, Midseason, 30" x 6"



 
YANKEE CHARM, by Sikes, 1991, Mid, 17"x5"





HAKUNENSIS -- This is a SPECIES daylily.  No human being bred it; this is Mom Nature's work!




                         SCOTTISH FANTASY, by Moldovan, 1996, Midseason, 28" x 5.5"







SPIDER MIRACLE, by Hendricks, 1987, Midseason, 32"x 8.5"    (This one is a polytepal.  That is, an occasional anomaly of 4 petals plus 4 sepals, totaling 8 instead of the usual 6.  This particular bloom had passed by the time she saw my gardens, but I have this photo of Spider Miracle in my files.)

JANICE BROWN, by E.C. Brown, 1986, Early-Midseason, 21"x 4.5"  Stout Silver Medal.  (This did not bloom Early-Mid for me, but it is a rebloomer.  Maybe it got its calendar mixed up?  I do occasionally get daylilies that simply do not bloom when the databases say they should, though they are otherwise healthy and happy.  This Lovely was wet from the rain, when she was photographed.)




       WICKED WITCH, by Moldovan, 1980, Mid-Late, 24" x 6" (It's actually a fair bit darker than this pic shows.  Nice, rich, dark red/near black.  Might have been too sunny that day for photography.  Sometimes color is truer on overcast days, but I can't just wait for that.)






WHITE TEMPTATION, by Sellers, 1979, Midseason, 32"x 5"  (These are some new ones that duplicated an older planting I thought was lost, instead of replacing it.  It lives too!  These haven't achieved that 32" height yet -- not this year.  It's a beautiful "near white", nice and clean.  It's a "nocturnal," which means it starts blooming at night!)


OK, there were several more that she admired, and I think she truly liked all she saw blooming that day.  Many plants had taken the day off, as it were... had buds, but none open that day.  I won't be digging/dividing all of these this summer -- and possibly some not even next year -- but she is welcome to all of them, eventually.  I'll send her a few plants later this month, and more in the spring.  Then we'll see what needs division, and when.  By then, she will have visited again, I hope, perhaps a different part of the summer.  Then she'll see different plants in bloom!








No comments:

Post a Comment