Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Hmmm... I didn't get back here "tomorrow," that is, the next day after the last post entry.  But I have been out in the gardens EVERY day, even when busy with something else, if only to check for FFO's.  Have solved a few more mysteries, but some will simply have to wait until next years' bloom.

Here are a few pics, as promised, of this year's acquisitions.  I'm pleasantly surprised that so many of them have bloomed so soon!  I did get a few replacements that turned out to be duplicates, as the originals weren't dead after all.  Silly me!  But I'd rather have too many of a daylily than not enough!

By the way, I never get the very expensive, newer cultivars.  For the same amount of money, I can get many of the older ones, so as long as I still have room to plant them, I shall likely stick to my policy of getting only the older, less expensive ones.  But put together, they make a gorgeous show in my yard!!!

                                   AGE OF AQUARIUS, by  Moldovan, 2001


                              BRANDY ALEXANDER, by Kirchhoff, 2000



ELF CAPS, by Hudson, 1977 (This tiny cutie was out in the rain, before getting its portrait taken.)


OLD KING COLE, by Moldovan, 1995 (I got this to represent one of my cats, Cole.  Someday, I shall have a theme garden for all my animals.  I have already begun calling it "The Petting Zoo, " and I have a very good idea of where I'll put it.  Old King Cole is already there!)


DANDY DAVE, by Lynn, 2001 (Got this to represent my grandson, David.  I also got one called, "New King David," which was planted in another section, but will be moved to this spot, next year.)


 OLALLIE CAROL, by Darrow, 1981.  (I have two Carols to be represented by this lovely bloom; a very dear friend, and my cousin who passed away this spring.  I got two fans, and they'll go in separate theme gardens, so I hope they increase quickly!)


 CRIMSON PIRATE, by Sass, 1951 (An old variety, yes... but still quite good looking.  And I'll have a Pirate garden, next year!  I already have several cultivars collected for it: Blackberd Pirate, Barbary Corsair, Black Pearl, Pirate's Promise, and this one.  There are many more registered cultivars with pirate-y names!  I have a few others that could be squeezed into the Pirate garden, such as Shark Bite, Mynelle's Starfish, Daring Deception, and Ocean Rain.  Not exactly keeping "to the code," but close enough.  The code is more like Guidelines, anyway.... heh heh heh .....)


 DOLL HOUSE, by Wild, 1975. (This was a replacement, but if the original still lives, I have not seen it bloom as yet.  I'm glad I have this one!)


KINDLY LIGHT, by Bechtold, 1950.  (I have wanted this one for years!  Yaaayyy!  Got it! --  Ooops, just noticed that this photo is sideways!  Forgot to turn it in the files.  Looks the same though, except for the stamen direction.  Use your imagination, LOL!) 


Well, that's it for today.  I have many errands to run this morning, and all the other usual things to do.  First though ... a trek through the dewy grass (must change shoes first!) to check for FFO's.  There are very few to be seen now, but I've managed to find at least one each day.  ::knocking wood!:: 

SEE YOU SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment