Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Sprout excitement

It's not a lot to get excited about, but I am excited anyway!  I have sprouts -- lots and lots and LOTS of sprouts!  Almost everything is showing up, after this long, hard winter.  There are some more to make their appearances, but not all are on the same time schedule.   I can be patient.  Well, what choice have I got, really?  

I found a place on the internet that has many of the older, early Stout Silver Medal winners, but not sure they will do mail order.  They seem to prefer to do a more direct, visitor business.  I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I noticed a lot of grass tightly cramping a plant called, "Val."  It was pictured awhile ago, and is truly lovely.  It is on my list to be moved anyway, so I started digging the new bed where it will go, soon.  It was so nice to be digging in the fresh earth... the smell of newly turned soil is one of the BEST of springtime!  

 No old photos this time... sorry.  Had a mild domestic problem, and it's nearly time to shut down the computer.  However, I can give you a few almost current photos: one of some crocuses that are now blooming, and one of the yard, with a bit more snow than is there today.  And of course, a sample of the daylily sprouts! These were taken a few days ago, and between warm days and some April rains, the snow is nearly gone!

 A variety of crocus called, "Dorothy".  I got it to remember my Aunt Dorothy (my dad's sister).  And she has a little friend who is enjoying her company!

 The pond behind the house, with a fair bit of snow, still.  Hint: it's gone now, in only a couple of days, since.  Still pretty drab out there, though!



I'm not even sure which sprouts these are, since they almost all look alike at this stage. That broken bit of plastic might have a clue, but I can't read it.  I don't dare clear out the debris yet.  We are in danger of freezing temps and possibly snow tonight!   New England weather is famous for being fickle!  But we Yankees are quite used to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment